InnoCentive respects and protects your data privacy rights. This statement includes InnoCentive's European Union - U.S. Safe Harbor Privacy Statement and our Website Privacy and Cookie Statements.
U.S. - EU Safe Harbor Privacy Statement
InnoCentive complies with the U.S.-EU Safe Harbor Framework and the U.S.-Swiss Safe Harbor Framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal information from European Union member countries and Switzerland. InnoCentive has certified that it adheres to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access, and enforcement. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, and to view InnoCentive’s certification, please visit the Safe Harbor website.
Information that We Collect and How We Use Information
- Through www.innocentive.com (the “Site”), InnoCentive will collect information that can identify you, such as your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, experience, field of expertise, educational background and curriculum vitae, and other similar information ("Your Information") when it is voluntarily submitted to us when you register as a Solver, when you update your profile information or when you request information from us (however, see discussion below about "IP Addresses" if you have a broadband connection). We will use Your Information to respond to requests you may make of us, to communicate with you about InnoCentive Challenges, and from time to time, we may refer to Your Information to better understand your needs and how we can improve our websites, products and services.
- You may utilize social networking sites not operated by us. For example, you may be able to sign on to your InnoCentive account using a social networking site sign-on and connect through that social networking site to Your Information. Depending on the social networking site’s policies, we may collect certain information about you from your account on the social networking site (such as gender, age, occupation, hobbies, interests, zip code, contacts or other information you have provided to the social networking site) or about your activity on the social networking site. Once Your Information is received by us, we will treat any such information as if you had given it directly to us, in accordance with this policy.
- If you receive an Award in response to a Solution that you submit in response to an InnoCentive Challenge, we will request certain information from you in order to comply with our obligations under tax law and other applicable laws. This information will include copies of positive identification documentation and a tax identification number, often your Social Security number (“Award Information”). Award Information will not be incorporated into Your Information that is stored by the Site, and we will not request more Award Information than is reasonably necessary to comply with our legal obligations.
- Areas of this Site that collect Your Information use industry standard secure socket layer encryption (SSL); however, to take advantage of this your browser must support encryption protection. We will not request Award Information online.
Our Site uses a technology known as web beacons - sometimes called single-pixel gifs - that allow this Site to collect web log information. A web beacon is a graphic on a web page or in an e-mail message designed to track pages viewed or messages opened. Web log information is gathered when you visit the Site by the computer that hosts our Site (called a "webserver"). The webserver automatically recognizes some non-personal information, such as the date and time you visited our Site, the pages you visited, the website you came from, the type of browser you are using (e.g., Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari), the type of operating system you are using (e.g., Windows XP/Vista, Leopard, etc.), and the domain name and address of your Internet service provider. We may also include web beacons in promotional e-mail messages in order to determine whether messages have been opened.
Our Site uses Internet Protocol (IP) Addresses. An IP Address is a number assigned to your computer by your Internet service provider so you can access the Internet. Generally, an IP address changes each time you connect to the Internet (it is a "dynamic" address). Note, however, that if you have a broadband connection, depending on your individual circumstance, it is possible that your IP Address that we collect, or even perhaps a cookie we use, may contain information that could be deemed personally identifiable. This is because with some broadband connections, your IP Address doesn't change -- it is "static" -- and could be associated with your personal computer. We use your IP address to report aggregate information on use and to help improve the Site.
Use by Minors
You should be aware that this site is not intended for use by, or designed to attract, individuals under the age of 18. You may not register as a Solver if you are under the age of 18, or have not reached the age of majority in your jurisdiction. We do not collect personally identifiable information from any person we actually know is an individual under the age of 13.
Sharing of Your Information
- We may share Your Information with agents, contractors or partners of InnoCentive in connection with services that these individuals or entities perform for, or with, InnoCentive. These agents, contractors or partners are restricted from using this data in any way other than to provide services for InnoCentive, or services for the collaboration in which they and InnoCentive are engaged (for example, our Seekers). By submitting a Proposed Solution to an InnoCentive Challenge, for example, you acknowledge that we may share Your Information with Seekers as part of the Challenge evaluation process, and you consent that we may share Your Information and Award Information with Seekers for this purpose, and to make Awards in the event that your Proposed Solution is accepted by a Seeker.
- If you are referred to a Challenge via another user's referral link, certain activity (e.g, registering, opening a project room for that Challenge, submitting a solution for that Challenge, or receiving an award for that Challenge) may be viewable in an anonymized and aggregated fashion by the referring user. No username, Solver ID, profile information, or other identifiable information will be made available.
- If you choose to participate in Solver Search (by specific opt-in) and make your profile searchable, Your Information will be shared with Seekers and other Solvers who search for Solvers with particular information in their profiles, such as field of expertise, education, experience, etc. This feature is completely optional and you may choose to opt-out at any time by updating your settings on your My Public Profile page.
- InnoCentive reserves the right to share Your Information to respond to duly authorized information requests of governmental authorities or where required by law.
Links to Third Party Websites
As a convenience to our visitors, our Site may contain links to sites that we believe may offer useful information to you or the web sites of our Seekers. The policies and procedures we described here do not apply to any third party sites. We suggest contacting those sites directly for information on their privacy, security, data collection, and distribution policies.
Notices and Revisions
Our business changes constantly and our Privacy Notice may change also. We may e-mail periodic reminders of our notices and conditions, unless you have instructed us not to, but you should check our Site frequently to see recent changes. Unless stated otherwise, our current Privacy Notice applies to all information that we have about you and your account. We will not make material changes to our policies and practices to make them less protective of Your Information collected in the past under prior policies without the consent of affected registered Solvers.
265 Winter Street, 2nd Floor
Waltham, MA 02451
Last Updated: July 6th, 2015