Please note that the details of this Challenge are no longer open. This challenge is awarded and is no longer accepting new submissions. You can:
Challenge Cotton Incorporated: Repurposing Cotton Materials & Avoiding Landfill
Cotton Incorporated: Repurposing Cotton Materials & Avoiding Landfill
STATUS: Awarded
Active Solvers: 299
Posted: Oct 09 2013
Challenge ID: 9933196
Team Project Rooms are available on this Challenge Team Share Challenge Share

Cotton Incorporated requires novel, but practical, proposals of how cotton-rich materials can be repurposed or reused so that they do not contribute to the large volume of refuse disposed in landfill sites. 

This is an Ideation Challenge with a guaranteed award for at least one submitted solution.



The cotton industry envisions a future where environmentally sustainable production and manufacturing will thrive along with the businesses that depend on cotton as a source of income. 

According to the Council for Textile Recycling, only 15% of post-consumer textiles are donated to charitable organizations or recycling centers, while the remaining 85% is disposed in landfill sites. Although cotton is a highly sustainable material, the Seeker wishes to understand viable means of changing this end of life scenario and thereby reducing the contribution of cotton to landfill. 

Cotton is a highly functional material with many favorable properties – how can used cotton materials be repurposed in novel and effective ways? The Seeker is particularly interested in solutions applicable to used cotton garments. 

This is an Ideation Challenge, which has the following unique features:

  • There is a guaranteed award. The awards will be paid to the best submission(s) as solely determined by the Seeker. The total payout will be $7,000, with at least one award being no smaller than $5,000 and no award being smaller than $1,000. 
  • The Solvers are not required to transfer exclusive intellectual property rights to the Seeker. Rather, by submitting a proposal, the Solvers grants to the Seeker a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, and non-exclusive license to use any information included in this proposal.

After the Challenge deadline, the Seeker will complete the review process and make a decision with regards to the Winning Solution(s). All Solvers that submitted a proposal will be notified on the status of their submissions; however, no detailed evaluation of individual submissions will be provided.

What is InnoCentive?
InnoCentive is the global innovation marketplace where creative minds solve some of the world's most important problems for cash awards up to $1 million. Commercial, governmental and humanitarian organizations engage with InnoCentive to solve problems that can impact humankind in areas ranging from the environment to medical advancements.

What is an InnoCentive Ideation™ Challenge?

An InnoCentive Ideation™ Challenge is a broad question formulated to obtain access to new ideas, similar to a global brainstorm for producing a breakthrough idea or market survey which may include ideas for a new product line, a new commercial application for a current product, or even a viral marketing idea to recruit new customers. Ideation™ Challenge submissions are typically about two written pages, and Seekers receive a non-exclusive, perpetual license to use all submissions.

In an Ideation™ Challenge, Solvers may:

  • Submit ideas of their own
  • Submit third party information that they have the right to use and further the authority to convey that right and the right to use and develop derivative works to Seekers
  • Submit information considered in the public domain without any limitations on use

Solvers should not reveal any confidential information in their submissions. Often the Ideation™ Challenge will be followed by one or more of the other three Challenge types to further develop the ideas and gain Intellectual Property protection when the concept has been well-defined.

Share This Challenge